Sebastian acts as arbitrator and mediator in complex international disputes.
Sebastian is a leading arbitration expert with experience both as a mediator and as presiding or party-nominated arbitrator.
Before becoming a fulltime arbitrator and mediator, Sebastian advised and represented many global companies in high profile international arbitration proceedings. He also frequently acted as lead counsel in investor-State arbitrations.
Apart from numerous ICSID arbitrations, Sebastian has handled arbitrations under UNCITRAL Rules, SCC Rules, ICC Rules, DIS Rules, CEAC Rules, GMAA Rules and ad hoc rules. During his extensive practice Sebastian addressed many complex issues of international law as well as various commercial and public laws of countries such as Azerbaijan, Croatia, France, Germany, Russia, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey and Ukraine.
Professional directories, including Who’sWhoLegal, Chambers and Partners, The Legal 500, Handelsblatt and Juve, consistently recognise Sebastian nationally and internationally as a leading expert in his field.
Sebastian has also taught courses on international arbitration in Kiel, Germany, and Zurich, Switzerland.
In recognition of his expertise the German government included Sebastian in the list of ICSID arbitrators and conciliators in 2013 and re-designated him to the list in 2019.
Prior to joining HANEFELD, Sebastian helped build and from 2007 to 2015 chaired and co-chaired the global arbitration practice of Latham & Watkins.
Sebastian speaks German and English.
“Sebastian Seelmann-Eggebert is world-class in international arbitration, particularly in relation to management and client relations … [Sebastian] writes excellently; [he has a] very precise and analytical approach which he skilfully combines with strategic thinking … [he] is a very experienced and well-versed lawyer who has mastered all the nuances of oral proceedings”
- Several cases as co-arbitrator and president in CEAC, DIS and ICC arbitrations seated in various countries. The arbitrations related to energy projects and contracts, post M&A disputes and shareholder disputes;
- Mediator in a dispute relating to renewable energies.
- Defence of a Eastern European State in four arbitrations in the energy, transport and aviation industries. In particular, Sebastian helped the State client defeat claims in excess of 6 billion USD relating to the State’s gas regulation and corporate governance.
- Defence of a Balkan State in four arbitrations in the gaming, sports, real estate and tourism industries, including two arbitrations that concerned the planned construction of a luxury resort with an investment of up to USD 1 billion in a culturally, environmentally and historically protected location;
- Defence of a Balkan State in three arbitrations in the financial services, agriculture and food, and energy industries;
- Defence of an Asian State in an arbitration relating to its electricity grids;
- Defence of the subdivision of an EU Member State in an arbitration relating to the fossil fuel industry;
- The prosecution of claims for a multi-national construction company, where Sebastian helped obtain a significant award against a North African State arising out of events during and after the revolution in that State;
- The prosecution of claims for an Asian chemicals and textiles company against a North African State;
- The prosecution of claims for a multi-national steel company against a North African State;
- The prosecution of claims for a Turkish construction group against an Asian State.
- Defence of a shareholder of one of the largest Russian telecoms operators in an international shareholder dispute spanning several arbitrations in Sweden and Switzerland and multiple court proceedings in Europe and Caribbean jurisdictions;
- Defence of the Asian shareholder of a leading manufacturer of medical examination gloves in a global shareholder dispute that included four ICC arbitrations seated in Switzerland and multiple court proceedings in Asia, Europe and the USA;
- Representation of a minority shareholder of a large financial institution in a shareholder dispute;
- Representation of several shareholders in a dispute among the shareholders of a group of companies in the cosmetics and healthcare industries;
- Representation of an Asian shareholder in a dispute among the shareholders of an international joint venture in the healthcare industry;
- Dispute under a development and supply agreement in the aircraft industry;
- Dispute under a project development agreement relating to a chemical project in Egypt;
- Post M&A dispute in the solar industry.
- Mediator in a dispute in the renewable energy industry;
- Advisor in a petition proceeding before the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Counsel in a large number of cases before the German courts, including three successful complaints to the German Federal Constitutional Court;
- Advisor to two sovereign States on matters of investment protection policy.
Since April 2023
Of Counsel, HANEFELD
Latham & Watkins LLP, London and Hamburg
Partner 2005 – 2023
Global Chair and Co-Chair of the Arbitration Practice Group 2007 – 2015
Gaedertz Rechtsanwälte, Hamburg
Schön Nolte Finkelnburg & Clemm, Hamburg
Doctor of Laws (Dr. iur.), University of Osnabrück
Legal traineeship (Referendariat), Hamburg, including a Stage at the European Commission (DG 1) in Brussels;
Assistant at Department for European Law at Hamburg University
Studies of law at the University of Hamburg
Too much of a good thing? The exorbitant scope of § 1032(2) of the German Code on Civil Procedure
SchiedsVZ, pp. 32 et seq.
Amendment of the ICSID Arbitration Rules: Comment from Counsel’s Perspective
Hobe / Scheu: Evolution, Evaluation and Future Developments in International Investment Law – Proceedings of the 10 Year Anniversary Conference of the International Investment Law Centre
Fellow Lecturer for Course on International Arbitration Fellow at Universität Zürich, Switzerland
Lecturer for Course on International Arbitration at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Germany
2011 – 2012