- Nomination GAR Awards 2016
Dr. Inka Hanefeld, LL.M. nominated as "best prepared and most responsive arbitrator" at the GAR Awards 2016.
- Appointment as Vice-President of the ICC International Court of Arbitration
The World Council of the International Chamber of Commerce appointed Dr. Inka Hanefeld, LL.M. as Vice-President of the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
Dr. Inka Hanefeld, LL.M. primarily acts as arbitrator and counsel in domestic and international arbitration proceedings in the fields of international trade, industrial plant and machine building, energy, banking & finance, as well as in post-M&A disputes.
Her expertise has been recognized in various international rankings. In 2013, Inka was nominated by the Federal Republic of Germany for the ICSID list of arbitrators. Notably, each Member State of the ICSID Convention may only nominate a total of four candidates for the list. Additionally, Inka was appointed Vice-President of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in June 2015.
Before establishing her own private practice in 2005, Inka worked for many years in the dispute resolution department of a large international law firm from its offices in Vienna, New York, Frankfurt, and Hamburg. She holds a Master of Laws in International Legal Studies (LL.M.) from New York University School of Law and is admitted to the German and New York Bar. Her working languages are English and German. Inka is a Fellow Lecturer at the New York University School of Law (September 2012/2016).
- Co-Arbitrator: 55 arbitrations (ICC, ICSID, SCC, DIS, PCA, VIAC, CEAC, ad hoc), two of which involved State-controlled entities or a sovereign State and 2 of which constituted Investor-State Treaty Arbitration
- Presiding Arbitrator: 25 arbitrations (ICC, DIS, GMAA, CEAC, Hamburg CC, ad hoc), four of which involved State-controlled entities and two of which constituted Investor-State Treaty Arbitrations
- Sole Arbitrator: seven arbitrations (ICC, DIS, VIAC, Hamburg CC), one of which involved a State-controlled entity
Party representation in numerous domestic and international arbitral proceedings (e.g., ICC, DIS, ICSID, ZHK, VIAC, AAA, ad hoc)
- 3x Member of ICSID Annulment Committee
- 1x Member of LCIA Challenge Division
Arbitrator and Counsel, in particular in the following sectors: Energy, Industrial Plant Building/Construction, Banking & Finance, post-M&A, investor-State
Founder of Hanefeld Rechtsanwälte, Hamburg
- 2006 - 2011
Friedrich Korch Hanefeld, Hamburg
- 2005 - 2006
Renzenbrink Raschke von Knobelsdorff Heiser, Hamburg
- 2002 - 2005
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Dispute Resolution Department, Frankfurt and Hamburg
New York State Bar Exam
- 1999 - 2002
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Dispute Resolution Department, Vienna and New York
- 1998 - 1999
Master of Laws in International Legal Studies (LL.M.), New York University School of Law
- 1997 - 1998
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Dispute Resolution Department, Vienna
- 1995 - 1997
Legal traineeship (Referendariat) in Lower Saxony including work experience with the United Nations Organization for Industrial Development (UNIDO) in Vienna
Doctor of Laws (Dr. iur.), University of Hamburg
- 1989 - 1993
Studies of law at the University of Hamburg
- Lecturer at the University of Hamburg for domestic and international arbitration (2011 until 2013)
- Fellow lecturer at the New York University School of Law (September 2012/2016)
|2019||Germany||Weigand/Baumann (Hrsg.), Practitioner’s Handbook on International Commercial Arbitration, Oxford University Press 2019, S. 503-561.|
|2019||§ 20 Schiedsspruch||Salger/Trittmann (eds.), Internationale Schiedsverfahren, Praxishandbuch|
|2017||Inherent Powers to Streamline the Proceedings||European International Arbitration Review|
|2015||International Arbitration between standardization and flexibility - Predictablility and flexibility seen from a client’s perspective||SchiedsVZ 2015, 20|
|2014||Optionen der alternativen Streitbeilegung im Rahmen von (Offshore-) Windparkprojekten||EnWZ 2014,537|
|2013||Arbitration in Banking and Finance||NYU Journal of Law & Business, 2013|
|2012||Enforcement of Arbitral Awards that are Incapable of being Executed under Domestic Law||NYU Transnational Notes, 14 October 2012|
|2012||Is there a Need for a Sovereign Debt Tribunal?||NYU Transnational Notes, 8 October 2012|
|2010||Country Report Germany||in: Weigand (ed.), Practitioner’s Handbook on International Commercial Arbitration, Oxford University Press, 2010|
|2018||Fighting Institutional Bureaucracy||Arbitration Forum of the Law and Economics Foundation||St. Gallen||Switzerland|
|2017||Inherent Powers of Arbitrators to streamline the Proceedings||Science Po Conference||Paris||France|
|2017||Introduction to Young Arbitral Practitioners||YAWP||Singapore||Singapore|
|2017||Dispute Resolution Venue Germany – The Arbitration Perspective||BMJV||Berlin||Germany|
|2017||The Work of the ICC Court in Practice||Finish Arbitration Days||Helsinki||Finland|
|2017||Regional Challenges to Arbitration in Germany||LCIA||Tylney Hall||United Kingdom|
|2017||Regional Challenges to Arbitration in Germany||1st European ICC Conference||Paris||France|
|2017||Challenges facing arbitrators in investment arbitration||International Investment Arbitration||Oxford||United Kingdom|
|2016||Panellist in an Oxford-style debate||Conference organized by Young ArbitralWomen Practitioners||Zurich||Switzerland|
|2015||Limits to Party Autonomy imposed by Mandatory European Law||Conference hosted by NYU||New York||USA|
|2014||The Value of the IBA Guidelines on Taking of Evidence||Convergence and Divergence of Investment and International Commercial Arbitration conference||Santo Domingo||Dominican Republic|
|2014||Predictability and flexibility seen from a client's perspective||DIS fall conference||Berlin||Germany|
|2013||Streitschlichtung im Zusammenhang mit dem Bau und der Planung von Offshore-Windparks||Energy Arbitration Center Switzerland||Berlin||Germany|
|2013||Investment Arbitration & Sovereign Debts||Düsseldorf International Arbitration School||Düsseldorf||Germany|
|2013||Aufhebung des Schiedsspruchs aus Schiedsrichter- und Parteiensicht||Hamburger Schiedsgespräche||Hamburg||Germany|
|2013||N.N.||Petersberger Arbitration Day||Bonn||Germany|
|2013||Project Finance Arbitration Panel||Annual Spring Symposium at New York University||New York||USA|
|2012||Arbitration in Banking & Finance||N.N.||New York||USA|
- Recommmended in Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, Commercial Arbitration 2018
- Recommended in Who's Who Legal Germany: Arbitration Lawyers 2019
- Recommended in Who's Who Legal: Legal Thought Leaders 2018
- "Inka Hanefeld is a highly sought-after arbitrator and counsel known for 'consistently delivering top-class service in complex cases'."
Who's Who Legal
- "Inka Hanefeld of Hanefeld Rechtsanwälte is regarded as 'very impressive' by her peers. Recognised both as arbitrator and counsel, her expertise in project, trade and post M&A related disputes is 'top drawer'."
Who's Who Legal
- "Inka Hanefeld is a 'top arbitrator', 'very professional' with a 'distinct sense of justice'."
The Legal 500
- "Inka Hanefeld [...] has both studied and practised in New York. She is a well-regarded arbitrator whom interviewees champion as 'extremely organised and sharp-minded'."
- "Hailed as an extremely talented and effective advocate for her clients, sources praise Inka Hanefeld [...] for her arbitration expertise."
- "Inka Hanefeld [...] in Hamburg is recognised as 'an outstanding choice for arbitration cases - a fantastic advocate with a very successful track record'."
- "Dr. Inka Hanefeld [has] great expertise in the field"; "[is] sensationally well prepared."; "[is] absolutely reliable as co-arbitrator."; "[is] a pioneer for her generation."; "[is] experienced and well connected".
- Since June 2015 Vice President of the ICC International Court of Arbitration
- Since May 2015 member of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Since March 2015 member of the ICDR International Panel of Arbitrators
- 2013 nominated by the Federal Republic of Germany for the ICSID list of arbitrators
- Member of the ICC "Task Force on Arbitration involving States or State Entities"
- Recommended and named, inter alia, in GAR, Who’sWhoLegal, Chambers Global,
Chambers Europe, The Legal 500, JUVE